It appears I’ve finally kicked this sickness — just in time for my dear friend Mike to take over SF this weekend! If I could sum up how his visit will be in one word, it’d be: FIERCE. So let’s do the damn thing:
- SNL40: I can confidently say SNL has had greater significance on my life than any other TV show, and I was so excited to see what its 40th anniversary special had in store. There were hits and misses overall, but nothing can take away from such a monumental night. Shine on, you crazy diamond.
- The Slanted Door: A friend of mine graciously offered up his reservations for this SF dining hotspot on the water. The views are gorgeous, and the food was delicious. Cellophane noodles with lobster, then churros for dessert? Don’t mind if I do.
- Ash Wednesday: It’s that time of year again, when we Catholics sacrifice something for 40ish days and nights in an effort to get closer to God. Not only is Ash Wednesday my favorite mass of the year, but it’s also a good reminder to keep improving, taking small steps at a time.
- “It’s My Party” – Lesley Gore: The legendary Lesley Gore died Monday after a battle with lung cancer, so this breakout smash is naturally on repeat. I vividly remember belting out these lyrics nonstop in my mom’s minivan, and I’m sure my parents were thrilled when I finally moved on to ruin another song. Spoiler alert: That song was likely “You Don’t Own Me,” also by Gore.
So, the Oscars were Sunday — did you guys hear about this? Didja see this? I put my best, most-critical foot forward and did what anyone from my incredibly self-absorbed generation would do: I tweeted.
Sure, there are about a million recaps of the night’s ceremonies … but how many of those were written by me? Answer: ONE.
Here’s all you needed to know about the 2014 Oscars:
Pharrell wore that big, stupid hat he brought to the GRAMMYs.
Lupita Nyong’o gave an incredible speech & stunned in a blue gown.
Cuba Gooding, Jr. was in a really bizarre-o Pepsi commercial.
John Travolta completely botched Idina Menzel’s name.
BONUS: See how he’d screw yours up!
No mention of the pizza gag that ran on too long …
No need to talk about the stupid fucking #selfie that broke Twitter …
Just some good, old-fashioned Oscars love.
What was your favorite moment?
It’s been a hellish few days of crap-tacular catastrophes, but I’m still standing. I know, I’m surprised too. What better way to celebrate than with a Yankee, milestone, bottle of vino and scorned-woman anthem? Let’s get to it:
- Raúl Ibañez: My hero, my muse. Though he struck out last night to end a nail-biter against Detroit, the Yankees wouldn’t even be in the ALDS without him. I still believe in you, champ.
- Blogiversary: I’ve been so wrapped up in the MLB playoffs and FFL and insertacronymhere, I totally missed the 2-year birthday of Wittyburg.com! I’m gonna make a great parent. Thank you, a million times over, for taking part — whether you’re just joining or have been here since day one.
- Mark West Pinot Noir: I couldn’t quite believe I’d never nodded to the best Red of all time,* but I double-checked through my billions of posts.* Smooth, rich and slightly sweet, Mark West has all you need for a perfect boyfriend.
- “You Don’t Own Me”: Thank God for countless replays of “The First Wives Club” on Oxygen, so I could be reminded of SJP’s second-greatest work. The closing scene with Midler, Keaton and Hawn belting this jam gets me every time.
Doesn’t it just make you want to buy a white suit? No? Weird.
*This may be a slight exaggeration.