I’m back, and so are some of my favorite fall shows — one, of course, being “New Girl.” In celebration of that and Zooey’s Cosmo cover spot, I present four finds from her fabulous site: Hello Giggles. Shout-out to my dear friend April who introduced me to it!
- Illustrated Tweet of the Day: Don’t you wish the best tweets had awesome illustrations to accompany them? Your wish is artist Maritza Lugo’s command. Simply genius!
- Nails of the Day: This daily pick of the best in mani mania always makes me smile. I particularly love this homage to “The Powerpuff Girls” — who didn’t love Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup?
- Why I’m Insanely Jealous of Fantasy Football: I imagine this is how many of my female friends feel about FFL, and I applaud contributor Jessie Rosen for her take on the “sport.” Lord knows we all get a little crazy this time of year.
- Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: Aside from it being one of the most annoying words to spell, rhythm is also responsible for some pretty dark deeds. Check out writer Kevin Matthews’s take here.
There are tons of other great finds, like How to Tell If Your Boyfriend Is a Scrub and A Petition to Dethrone Ice Cream as the Official Food of the Break-Up.
And the best thing about Hello Giggles is its stringent moderation of comments. Nothing negative is posted, and it’s all focused on celebrating the quirky girl in us all. Go forth and read, my friends!
WO has a new look ’round here, you may have noticed. The reason for this redesign? It’s WITTYBURG’s 1ST BIRTHDAY! Hard to believe that I started this a year ago, with just an idea and a penchant for sarcasm. Many thanks to all of you who’ve supported me this past year … and here’s to many more!
- “New Girl”: My girl crush on Zooey Deschanel continues. Just reading her character’s rental application had me in stitches.
- Celebrations: I think a blogiversary™ is a damn good reason to say way-hooo! Plus, this song has been in my head for a week, thanks to co-workers. Jerks.
- Breast Cancer Awareness: October is in full swing, so all you ladies should be checking your ta-tas. Think Pink, girls!
- Funfetti Cake Batter Fudge: I love to bake, and this Freshly Pressed fudge recipe’s classic cake-batter flavor is enough motivation for me to whip up a batch.
Poppin’ bottles tonight to commemorate the big … 1. Only God and CathyMay15 can judge me.
I have a total girl crush on Zooey Deschanel from her roles in movies like “Elf” and “Failure to Launch” (literally, the only reason I dug the latter). But this quirky beauty has another side gig, among movies, a hit TV show, Cotton commercials and being the face of Rimmel: indie band She & Him.
Paired with guitarist M. Ward, Deschanel’s voice soars through both original and cover songs that will make you smile. She has contagious energy, and Him is a showman through and through.
Some of my favorite singles include:
- “I Put a Spell on You” (I was obsessed with “Hocus Pocus,” but that’s a separate discussion)
- “Me and You”
- “Dream a Little Dream of Me”
Grooving to these guys makes even the worst Case of the Mondays pretty bearable. They may even turn this Scrooge into a fan of Christmas music … maybe.