2 posts in one day? I must really like you guys.
In all seriousness, I couldn’t possibly let my 279-week streak of obsessions die, despite this morning’s reflections and revelations.
Something I think we all could use right now, is a mental break. So, please enjoy these funny dog videos at your leisure.
I’ll be back at it next week with our regularly scheduled programming.
I’m out of my mind today after a 6am flight to Phoenix and connection to San Antonio. It’s my first time in the Lone Star State for more than a layover in Dallas-Fort Worth, and I’m beyond pumped to hang with two good friends from high school. We’re here for two days before road tripping to Austin — hang onto your hats.
- “Three’s Company” Live!: Since it’s now a tradition, a friend and I saw the latest drag show installment from the fine folks at Oasis. The characters were over the top, and the jokes were nonstop. I can’t wait for the next series these divas bring to life.
- Father John Misty: I was skeptical of this indie rocker when he came to town last year, following the release of his second solo album. But the BF got us tickets and I was swiftly proven wrong. His sound is soothing, yet can shake you to the core. I do love you, Honeybear.
- 8th Grade Girl Shuts Down BMI: I’m in the business of health now, but BMI continues to be a controversial topic. While I do believe it serves a purpose, I have to applaud 8th grader Tessa Embry, who wrote a scathing takedown of the concept for a health class exam. Adolescent bodies are judged plenty without this metric to worry about — well done, Tessa.
- Mutual Rescue: This series from the Humane Society of Silicon Valley is guaranteed to make you smile. And ugly cry, but smiles too. The latest introduces us to Eric, who was suffering from Type 2 diabetes and severely overweight. His and Peety’s story will hit you right in the heartstrings.
As the first quarter of 2016 comes to a close, I can’t quite believe how much has happened. From weddings to babies, a Presidential circus and more, I’m eager — and a little terrified — of what the rest of 2016 will bring. Buckle up, folks:
- A Burrito Baby: Comedians and friends MK and Ella are doing their part to “keep Austin weird.” They recently released a gorgeous series of faux pregnancy photos, entitled “Burrito Makes Three.” Let’s be real, though: There are plenty of couples I could see doing this and being 100% serious.
- Lilica’s Puppies: Speaking of fun photo shoots, you may have heard about the maternity photo shoot for a dog — which was just about as cute as can be. Well, Lilica the dachshund had her puppies the very next day and now an all-new shoot was published with her FIVE adorable babes. All the feels and squeals.
- Wentworth Miller Speaks Out: Mental health is often a hush-hush topic, but the “Prison Break” star penned a post that’s making people talk. His response to a meme poking fun at his weight has been shared more than 200K times in two days, expressing his past struggles and present attention to assign meaning. Grab the tissues and read it for yourself here.
- Muir Beach Trail: One of my work teams completed this 5-mile trail hike on Friday, and let me tell you: It wasn’t easy, but it was worth it. Sweeping views of the Pacific, gorgeous scenery and an uphill trek that my phone logged as SIXTY-TWO stories… not a bad Good Friday at all, folks.
A fluffy furball, an awards ceremony to remember, an extra day to do something and a rant to end all rants. I’d say it’s a pretty good week!
- This Puppy with Braces: Brace yourself. (Yeah, I went there.) Wesley is a six-month-old golden retriever suffering from teething problems and pain. Luckily, his owner, Molly Moore, is the daughter of a veterinarian who specializes in dentistry. Voila! Cutest damn metal mouth you’ve ever seen. Now this is a “break the Internet” trend I can appreciate.
- The 88th Annual Academy Awards: Despite boycotts and ultimately, historically low viewership, this year’s Oscars provided difficult — yet necessary — commentary. From lack of diversity to sexual abuse, environmental impact and more, Chris Rock et al. were not afraid to go there. If only our Presidential candidates could speak so passionately and maintain their dignity.
- Leap Day: What else am I late to the game to comment on? February 29 was Leap Day, AKA an extra day to get shit done and be amazing. Of course, it was a Monday, so I grumbled through my morning routine and was exhausted by dinnertime. All I can say is, I’m glad it’s only every four years (and the next one’s a Saturday)!
- “Last Week Tonight” Makes Donald Drumpf Again: I often refrain from public commentary about politics and absolutely refuse to tolerate disrespectful comments about this. Take 20 minutes with John Oliver’s brilliant takedown of Donald Trump and recognize the reality we face with this election. I’m not into scare tactics, but let’s prevent a living nightmare.
I’d like to thank all of you who took the time to read about Duane and Deirdre’s story last week, offered help and spread the word. I know there are countless stories like theirs, so it means all that much more to me that you contributed to their cause.
- Mom Hears Deceased Son’s Heartbeat: If you haven’t seen this story yet, grab some tissues. Heather Clark’s 3-year-old son died tragically in 2013 and his organs were donated to help other children. The recipient of his heart, 4-year-old Jordan Drake, recently met Heather and gave her the most precious gift: a listen to her son’s heartbeat. If that doesn’t pull at your own heartstrings, I don’t know what will.
- Super Bowl L: Um, hello. This is Planet Earth. Have you heard? The 50th Super Bowl is Sunday, coming at you from none other than San Fran-freaking-cisco. The city is abuzz with excitement as an estimated 1 million visitors flock to the Bay Area. I’ll be enjoying the game from a friend’s place, but if you’re braving the events, may the odds be ever in your favor.
- Puppy Bowl: With every Super Bowl the last 12 years comes the furry frenzy that is Puppy Bowl! My team plans to stop by the Puppy Bowl Café (terrible name, btw) to see the players in action. And, Uber was sending puppies to various locations nationwide — if you were lucky enough to snag a spot. Let the cuteness overload begin!
- “I’m So Excited” – The Pointer Sisters: Some big changes are coming to the Wittyburg world, and while I can’t share specifics just yet, I can say that I’m so excited! Cue this song and, naturally, the “Saved by the Bell” gif we’ve all grown to love. Stay tuned… and in the meantime, enjoy the totally rad ‘80s montage.
This week’s finds have a bit of a recurring theme, but don’t get your hopes up for a new addition anytime soon. I simply find our four-legged friends to be a constant source of cuddly comfort and joy… that’s all.
- Marniethedog: This Instagram celebrity has 1.6 million followers, so you know she’s doing something right. That dumpy tongue and the cutest little getups are just a few reasons why you’ll love her, too.
- Dilan & Farley: Photographer Ivette Ivens’s son and French bulldog were born on the same day and have been raised like siblings together in their Chicago home. Her photo series will melt your heart and make you smile (some images NSFW).
- Corgi Beach Party: Ain’t no party like a corgi beach party, ‘cuz a corgi beach party don’t stop. Orrrr something like that… But seriously, how can you not squee over the infinite cuteness? I may or may not need a hobby.
- “Ex’s and Oh’s” – Elle King: I’m sure you’ve all fallen for this gritty, soulful song by now — but just in case you haven’t, here’s my official endorsement of the platinum-haired powerhouse and her first megahit. Just try and listen without jamming along.
I haven’t been feeling well lately — likely a combination of overexerting myself and not eating properly (oh, and drinking till I can’t feel feelings anymore). Lucky for me, Pinterest is overflowing with adorbs pictures of animals, so the icky feelings subside … even if only for a little while.
Some of my faves from the “Furry Friends” board I hold so dearly to my heart:
Happy puppy makes me … happy.
Cupcake? What cupcake?
Little baby puppy butt
Yes, you’re a lion. Now get out of the tree.
There, now don’t you feel better too?