This week’s obsessions are brought to you live from New York, where I was feeling super nostalgic and reminiscent until a torrential downpour today made me want to set everything ablaze and scream endlessly.
Before I fall asleep for the third night in a row with my phone in my hand, my hair flailing about, and my feet hurting so good, I have these life-changing gifs and thoughts to share:
This week marks NINE years of Wittyburg.com. Yes, this stock gif has 10 candles but a girl can dream, can’t she?
The hotel I’m in this week is called StayPineapple, and they take their theme seriously. The towels, tiled floors, cabinets, water, mugs — you name it, and it’s got a pineapple on it. Such commitment! Such joie d’vivre!
As exhausting and infuriating this city that never sleeps can be, I will always be grateful for the chance to revisit and reminisce on my few short years living here. There’s a certain special type of person who can live here and love it — and to those folks, I salute you!
I have about an hour of energy left in me today, which is reserved especially for a wonderful co-worker’s farewell celebration. Alas, the show must go on:
- The Radio City Rockettes: I mentioned a few weeks ago how my family was going to see the ever-iconic Radio City Rockettes while visiting New York, and let me tell you, it was worth the 30-year wait. From the incredible choreography to the set design, it was one breathtaking scene after another. My faves? The toy soldier fall and live nativity scene were tops.
- A Life-Changing Letter: Get the tissues ready. This letter, penned by the terminally ill 27-year-old Holly Butcher, will make you rethink everything. From finances to traffic, from cake to Christmas presents, Butcher outlines all of the things on her mind as her battle with cancer came to a close. Even recapping it now, I’m misty-eyed. Seriously, you don’t want to miss this.
- “I, Tonya”: Something else you don’t want to miss? This Golden Globe–winning look at the scandal that rocked the professional sports — and 24-hour news — world in 1994. I remember watching it unfold as an elementary school kid then, and I’m even more fascinated by it now. If nothing else, you can’t look away from Allison Janney and Margot Robbie’s insanely believable… insanity.
- “Pitch Perfect 3”: That’s right, guys. I went a whole 18 months without seeing a movie in theaters and then saw two in just a few weeks’ time. Yes, it’s a little silly. Yes, it’s a little cheesy. And yes, you will enjoy the ridiculous end to the Barden Bella saga. C’mon, you know you want to!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year and I’m spending it in New York with some of my very favorite people. So far, we’ve managed to clock in more than 11 miles of walking, the Museum of Mathematics, countless tasty treats, and — tonight — we’ll add The Rockettes to the list.
I couldn’t be happier to spend this time with my mom, aunt, uncle and cousins. We don’t see each other often, and when we do, it’s not a collective vacation. I feel incredibly blessed to be here with them, and I hope time slows down juuust a little bit during the rest of our trip.
A more reflective year-end post is coming, but I’m just enjoying living in these moments for now. Cheers, y’all!
Most of my family is celebrating my cousin Kathleen’s wedding on a five-day cruise to the Bahamas. And while I wouldn’t mind lounging in Nassau, I’m getting over a nasty head cold and would have been awful company anyway. Sure, Amanda. Just keep telling yourself that…
- “The Family”: I was reluctant to add yet another show to my must-see list, but this series, so far, breaks all my rules. And I love it. The premise? “A community is rattled when a politician’s son, who was presumed murdered years ago, returns home.” (IMDb) And that’s just the beginning. Trust me, you don’t want to miss this one!
- Spring Has Sprung: Shout out to Daylight Saving Time (now that I’ve adjusted) and the beautiful weather we’ve had lately, because I’m really feeling this springtime thing. We’re still getting a few pockets of rain here and there, but fog retreated and sunshine returned … at least for a little bit.
- Foodnited States: Who says you shouldn’t play with your food? This series of fantastic food photographs celebrates a pun for each of our great 50 states. I’m obviously partial to Flo-radicchio and Kale-ifornia, but there are some other really clever creations. Dig in 🙂
- “Gone” – Parlour Tricks: My boyfriend and I saw Electric Six this weekend, and while I enjoyed their set (again!), the highlight for me was the opening act, Parlour Tricks. These three songstresses and three dudes on instruments brought fun, energy and excitement to the stage. My fave is “Gone,” but all their stuff is equally infectious.
I flew about 3,000 miles since last week’s post and boy, are my arms tired. [Insert bad-joke rimshot noise here.] I’ll spare you any more corny jokes and get right to it:
- NYC: It’s a great time of year to be back in one of the most electrifying cities on Earth. The air and leaves are crisp, the people are crazy as ever, the Mets are hanging in there, and I feel very #blessed to spend a week in the city.
- Macy’s Herald Square: A big change with this visit is that my NYC team recently moved down the street to work in offices at Herald Square. It’s completely insane walking these hallowed halls and being right in the action — but I so appreciate the chance to “be a part of it.” 😉
- Halloween: Um, duh. This year, I have a friend’s wedding to attend and will then continue the celebration at my friends’ party. The costume isn’t as surprising as you might expect, but it’s still sure to be a winner. La la la la la.
- “Hello” – Adele: OK, so everyone and their mother — litchrlly — is obsessed with this new release from the queen of soulful singing. If this is what three years of anticipation brings us, I’d have to say it’s worth the wait. And the video? Damn, girl.
So I’m back in NYC this week — for work, but more importantly — to celebrate my work wifey’s wedding! It could be the copious coffee, this electrifying city or a combination of both, but here’s what I’m feeling:
- Earth Day: I know y’all were thinking green on 4/20 but how about you go a step further and do something good for the environment today? Then, reward yourself with this adorable quiz from Google to determine your spirit animal.
- Via: For all you lovelies who are tired of Uber surges in NYC, check out Via — you can go anywhere between 14th and 110th Street, Monday to Friday, 630 a.m. to 930 p.m. for a fraction of the price! Use my friend’s promo code justine4w6 for a $10 credit 🙂
- Obao: It’s no secret that New York has some of the most delicious food in the country, but I experienced Obao last night and was just blown away. From phenomenal pho to incredible desserts and impeccable service, it’s no wonder this place is so popular.
- “Up” – Olly Murs f. Demi Lovato: A co-worker got me hooked on this song, which is just brimming with positivity. I never considered myself a Demi Lovato fan, but the little lady has quite the pipes to support Olly’s smooth singing.