My birthday weekend went much differently than planned, which could be the universe’s way of knocking me on my ass a bit. Whatever the case, I’ve got a few things to keep me smiling through the bumps and bruises.
- Lillian Grace: Despite anxiously awaiting my niece’s arrival, there’s still something so magical about her actually making her entrance into the world. She was born on June 30 at 1:12pm ET, weighing 8lbs and 13 oz, and was 19.5in long. Welcome to our crazy, beautiful family, Lillian! I can’t wait to squish those cheeks and cover you with kisses soon.
- SFMOMA: The iconic SF Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) closed for extensive renovations before I moved here, so to say I was excited for a team outing there is a total understatement. We didn’t even make it through the entire building; there’s so much to explore and enjoy. Highly recommend whether you live in SF or are just passing through.
- Birthday Gifts: After an extra-long weekend, our office was a little sluggish getting back into the swing of things today. But two of my teams surprised me with thoughtful cards, flowers and gifts from SFMoMA, which filled my heart with happiness 🙂 ← Proof
- Sugar Pine Point: As promised, Tahoe was absolutely stunning this weekend. Our campsite was the perfect distance from the outside world, yet we were close enough to the lake that we could kayak and watch fireworks and relax without much prep at all. It’s no wonder the sites sell out on the first day of the season!
Images courtesy of: SIL + Brother, Twitter, Me x2
As of this writing, my sister-in-law will be induced any minute to begin delivery of my second niece… and I can’t contain my excitement! It’s been absolutely incredible seeing my first niece grow and develop over the past two and a half years, and I know she’ll be an amazing big sister. Baby will likely arrive tomorrow, but I’m celebrating now anyway. We won’t quite be birthday twins, but she’ll always be a firecracker in my eyes.
Here’s what else I’m celebrating:
- Anchor Brewing: One of my work teams visited this brewery for a tour last week, and it didn’t disappoint. My fave so far is the Meyer Lemon Lager — perfect for a sultry summer day. Anchor also has a spectacular setup at AT&T Park’s neighbor, The Yard, where you can enjoy craft drafts alongside America’s favorite pastime.
- 4th of July: Speaking of ‘Merica, it’s only fitting that we start celebrating its birthday (and mine) early. The US of A is turning 240, after all. I’ll be camping in Tahoe with my boyfriend and a group of great friends, but no matter what you’re up to, keep it classy and stay safe!
- A Wireless Weekend: And now, speaking of Tahoe, I’m pretty pumped to go off the grid for a few days. My cell reception will be spotty, which is just what I need for a bit of rest and relaxation. As long as my niece arrives before then, I’m OK with missing birthday notifications on my actual birthday.
- Miley Cyrus – “Party in the USA”: I know, I hate me too. But what better way to get the people going than with such poetic prose as “Noddin’ my head like yeah / Movin’ my hips like yeah”? It’s cheesy and awful but the perfect party earworm for Lady Liberty (plus, a hefty payday for Jessie J).
Happy Canada Day, eh? In all honesty, there’s a bevy of things to celebrate this week so let’s just get right down to it:
- SCOTUS for Gay Marriage: It’s old news by now, but hotdamnhowamazing! What a time to witness what happens when love conquers all. I hope your social-media feeds were filled with as much compassion as mine! This country still has a long way to go, but steps like this make me #proud.
- SF Pride: Speaking of, this weekend’s Pride festivities were absolutely fabulous. All the rainbows and sparkles and skin aside, it was truly incredible to see so many come together to support human rights.
- 4th of July: Um, heller. America and I celebrate our birthday in style each year, and I can’t wait to go wine tasting in Napa on Saturday. Whatever you’re doing to celebrate (me), be safe. Nothing brings a party down like fireworks gone wrong!
- “Stand Up” – Jessie J: Since I’m just oozing positivity and love, this anthem seems fitting. Like she croons, “…you’re as old as you feel you are, and if you don’t reach for the moon you can’t fall on the stars.” PREACH.
In case you’re not FB friends with Magz and haven’t seen her weeklong countdown … it’s my birthday tomorrow! It kind of snuck up on me, probably because I’ve been packing every weekend with funtivities and nearly forgot to pay rent this month. Adulthood.
- 27 Ways to Be as American as Ron Swanson: Because, ‘Merica. And though I can’t grow a moustache like his, my mere existence is defined by #22. I’d say that’s a fair trade.
- Pie Face: My cubemate introduced me to this sweet and savory shop yesterday and I’m already hooked. I can’t wait to indulge in an all-American apple pie & caramel smasher tomorrow!
- Macy’s 37th Annual 4th of July Fireworks: Shameless plug? Sure, why not. Hosted by Nick Cannon, this year’s show features his wifey, plus Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez. Like, OMG.
- “The Remedy” – Jason Mraz: OK, I totally admit to loving this song simply because it opens with “ … fireworks from the freeway … ‘cause you were born on the 4th of July, freedom ring.” So sue me!
Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th!
It’s that special time again, when I share five recent pictures and try to not be so lazy with my life. Consider it my birthday present to you, dear readers.
Obligatory crappy fireworks shot; building isn’t on fire — this isn’t San Diego
Real life: Holly testing our friendship with Gronk and LeBron praise
It’s the official weekend now, so get out and celebrate it! I’ll be spending mine with the college bestie and my hairstylist (finally!) … nothing like the 6th of July to get people excited about freedom.
Today is my 25th birthday, and I’m overcome with a mix of feelings. I’m happy for this annual celebration’s arrival. I’m anxious over what the next year will bring. And, I’m pensive about this past year’s decisions and dreams that shaped where I am today. My emotions are complicated enough, so this week’s obsessions are simple:
- Fireworks: No 4th of July celebration is complete without booms of the rocket’s red glare — although they’ve been canceled enough years for me to know that life does go on. Here’s hoping tonight’s show is spectacular.
- New York Yankees: This isn’t a new obsession by any means, but I’m celebrating my freedom to cheer on the boys in pinstripes versus the Rays today. It doesn’t hurt that I met manager Joe Girardi yesterday. Life complete.
- My Mani: Colorful and sparkly, this quick nod to ‘Merica has had me smiling all week. It’s only slightly distracting as I type, but beauty is pain, right?
- Office Rah-Rah: My company does a great job of celebrating birthdays with ridiculous decorations and spirit. Derek Jeter, yellow mustard and a bottle of wine from a good friend … what more could a girl want?
Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th with your loved ones. Take a moment to thank the servicemen and women in your lives, and remember those who sacrificed everything for our freedom.
Oh, and happy birthday, America (and me)!
Katy, I always feel like a plastic bag.