I’m not saying this week is a dumpster fire but I am saying my scheduled 8 hours off Friday for a camping trip is now being used for a mental health day, instead. #PTOhhMyGod
It’s possible I’ve taken on too much, between managing a team of 10 (who create literally 100+ pieces/month), co-chairing a Junior League committee of 15, plus being actively involved with sorority and Book Club and other social commitments. But for some reason, I can’t ever seem to just be… or say “No” as much as I think I do.
Even canceling most of this week’s plans leaves me double-booked for tomorrow night. Lolz.
On Friday (aside from laundry and groceries and getting back to inbox zero), I plan to get a massage, maybe a mani/pedi and finish the third book of the Dragon Tattoo series. Or maybe I’ll just sleep the whole day and not beat myself up for the downtime.
I might even be lucky enough to kick this summer cold to the curb once and for all!
My cold is still lingering and SF’s notoriously chilly summers aren’t helping. Here’s what’s trying to break through and clear up my mental Fog-ust.
- “Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again”: My bestie here does not go to the movies. Seriously, she hadn’t been to a movie theater in five years. So when she suggested we see this sequel to the 2008 classic, I jumped at the chance. The costumes are fun, the songs are infectious and you won’t be able to watch it without humming along.
- Libby: I severely underestimated how life-changing it is to have a library card again. And with Libby, a new app from Overdrive, I can skip the Kindle app altogether and read right from my phone or iPad on a sleek and easy-to-use interface. #NerdToTheMax
- “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”: Thanks fall film previews, I was tempted to dig into Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series. My new buddy Libby made it impossible to resist, and I subsequently devoured the first in the trilogy in three nights. At this rate, I’ll be ready for “The Girl in the Spider’s Web” long before its debut in November.
- “When I Kissed the Teacher” – ABBA: This is one ABBA song I didn’t know by heart, but Lily James’s performance in MM2 makes it hard to forget. Who wouldn’t have wanted their college graduation ceremony to go like this? I only wish this lyric video was used in the film itself.
I’m fighting off a nasty summer cold this week, so here’s what’s helping my get by:
- “Meaty”: This collection of essays from Samantha Irby was originally published in 2013 and recently updated with a reprint. A thoughtful friend and her bf gifted me a new copy for my bday, and I devoured it in two sittings. It’s that good. From lazy-girl recipes to a loooot of information about GI issues, it’s not for the faint of heart. Which is exactly why I loved it.
- Cacio e Pepe: What’s arguably the simplest pasta dish has become a weekly staple for me. When my energy is gone, this satisfying combo of pasta, cheese and garlic (duh) can’t be beat. It’s an especially gratifying comfort food when you don’t have to hover over the stove for long. Add some garlic toast and you’ve got the perfect meal. Mangia!
- Breathe App: Don’t get me wrong — I still love my Daily Calm from the Calm app, but this is another way to get zen. Answer a few quick questions about how you’re feeling in the moment, and the app will recommend breathing exercises and plans for you to try. It’s weirdly satisfying and has lately helped me get to sleep faster. Win-win.
- “Delicate” – Taylor Swift: Is it possible for Taylor Swift to release a song that isn’t an earworm? I think not. This one has been rolling around in my brain for weeks and I can’t seem to shake it off. Yeah, I went there. I’m not even mad about it; I just had to warn you before I put it in your head now, too.
I’m told Sunday was National Ice Cream Day, and although I didn’t celebrate it then, the timing couldn’t be more perfect for a little treat I’m cooking up. *Not literally cooking, because it’d melt.
As part of my office’s “Tasting Thursday” series, tomorrow I’ll be co-hosting a blind tasting of various ice cream flavors, along with a BINGO game. Name a more iconic duo than ice cream and BINGO. I’ll wait.
In preparation, I found this free BINGO card creator — side note, is it all caps? I feel like it should be — and we’re assigning different flavor profiles to the squares. Our colleagues will taste blindly, guessing which flavors they’re tasting, and the first to get BINGO wins a free pint and gift card!
Am I taking this totally voluntary assignment too far? Possibly. But I’m enjoying every sweet second.
If you’ve been here a while, you already know the 4th of July happens to be my birthday. And while I’ve certainly learned to embrace the annual red, white and blue theme, I was woefully unprepared for this year’s mid-week mayhem.
In any case, and in honor of my 31st birthday, I thought it fitting to acknowledge 31 things I’m especially grateful for. These aren’t in any particular order after the top 10 😉 and while some sound silly, I’m a hundred percent serious:
- My family
- My friends
- My faith
- My freedom
- My health
- My home
- My education
- My career
- Food + water
- The library
- Road trips
- The DVR
- Promo codes
- Guilty pleasures
- Being informed
- Healthy debates
- My new diffuser
- The ocean
Here’s hoping you each had a safe and celebratory 4th ❤️💙 Cheers!
It’s nearly 6pm PT on this hellish Hump Day and I’d like to say I have four things to share with you. Operative word being “like” … but sadly, that’s not the case.
Between the emotions of Father’s Day, my parents’ anniversary, a work trip in Sacramento, a friend’s wedding in NYC and the dumpster fire that is the immigration debate, I just don’t have it in me this week.
And since I’m working really, really hard on self-care, I’m not pushing myself to do it. I would apologize, but that’s also part of learning self-care.
So instead, please take the 10(?) minutes you’d spend reading my WO to do a meditation, journal, call a friend, make a playlist, read, or whatever you do to take care of yourself.
Consider it my gift to you, friends.
Re: Ariana and Pete’s engagement, I’m still processing this information and have so many questions about two people I’ve never met. Don’t @ me.
As I try to unpack that, I think it’s only fitting you take a trip down memory lane with these longtime (2 years?) friends and newfound lovers.
…That was the only sketch I could find. So here’s some other Ariana-only highlights: