It could be my packed personal and professional lives or the fact that I’m just coming out of a Benadryl fog, but hump day came way too quickly this week. Here’s hoping the next few hundred words are somewhat coherent 😉
- Dita Von Teese: The queen of burlesque brought her “Strip, Strip Hooray!” show to SF this week, and I had the pleasure of going last night. From jewel-encrusted lingerie to breathtaking choreography and a hilarious emcee, it did not disappoint. My only note would be to get balcony seats next time, for the best view of a spectacular show.
- Baseball’s Back: I’m a little late to the game (ha!) on this one, but I’m pumped for the return of America’s pastime. Bonus: We have a teambuilding outing at tomorrow’s game, and I can’t wait to be back in the bleachers of AT&T Park. Disclaimer: I’m still — first and foremost — a Yankees fan. But I have local pride and will support the Giants so long as they’re not in the World Series against the Yanks… because then it’s a win-win-win anyway.
- Calm: I have a confession, you guys: I have a hard time relaxing. I know, I know — you’re shocked. This meditation app has helped me over the past month or so to focus for 10–20 minutes a day on just being. Meditation wasn’t really my thing, but I’m sufficiently hooked and enjoying the practice of letting things go.
- “Let It Go” – James Bay: (Speaking of) Not to be confused with the impossible-to-escape Frozen soundtrack, this song simply touches my heart and is a clear, calming reminder of love lost. I’m a little biased since I’m seeing him in concert Friday night, but I think you’ll like this one… maybe even more than “Hold Back the River.”
I flew about 3,000 miles since last week’s post and boy, are my arms tired. [Insert bad-joke rimshot noise here.] I’ll spare you any more corny jokes and get right to it:
- NYC: It’s a great time of year to be back in one of the most electrifying cities on Earth. The air and leaves are crisp, the people are crazy as ever, the Mets are hanging in there, and I feel very #blessed to spend a week in the city.
- Macy’s Herald Square: A big change with this visit is that my NYC team recently moved down the street to work in offices at Herald Square. It’s completely insane walking these hallowed halls and being right in the action — but I so appreciate the chance to “be a part of it.” 😉
- Halloween: Um, duh. This year, I have a friend’s wedding to attend and will then continue the celebration at my friends’ party. The costume isn’t as surprising as you might expect, but it’s still sure to be a winner. La la la la la.
- “Hello” – Adele: OK, so everyone and their mother — litchrlly — is obsessed with this new release from the queen of soulful singing. If this is what three years of anticipation brings us, I’d have to say it’s worth the wait. And the video? Damn, girl.
It’s been a crazy, fun week having my college bestie in SF — we traipsed all over this town and managed to keep some wineries in business, too.
All that fun has amounted to sheer exhaustion so instead of four finds, I have just one this week: The Oakland A’s hosted my Yankees and introduced me to the Bernie Lean. Lazy or not, I think you’ll find it’s deserving of its very own WO.
Grown men dancing + “Weekend at Bernie’s II” + rap lyrics = pure gold.
Today is the best day.
It doesn’t matter that my foot was smashed on the train. Or that a guy I was connecting with on Tinder turned out to be a creep (shocking!). Or that I had five hours of meetings.
Today is the best day, because I’m going to my first Yankees game of the season! They’ve played two without me, and I’m experiencing my first case of FOMO. Well, fear no more. Today is the best day.
- The Hudson Bond: Before the game, I’m hitting a quick work happy hour at this midtown spot. The weather is finally breaking, and we’ll be able to enjoy its patio even more in the coming months.
- Yankees Home Games: The smell, the sounds, the sights — I’m clearly more than excited for my first visit back to the Bronx since September.
- Brother Jimmy’s BBQ: Once inside, I have to hit up this chain’s amazing concession stand. I’ve been dreaming of the fried pickles for months, I tell you!
- “The Boys Are Back in Town” – Thin Lizzy: Well, duh. It’s no coincidence that this monster ballad has played on loop in my head all day. Let’s get ‘em, Yanks!
It’s been one helluva week in news, what with Amanda Bynes’s continued meltdown and two other attention whores naming their kid North West. I’m sorry, you thought I meant real news? Psh posh. Today’s top stories:
- “Catfish: The TV Show”: I seriously hate myself for getting hooked, but there was a marathon leading to last night’s Season 2 premiere and I just couldn’t stop. Damn you, Internet, for making this show possible!
- Wil Myers: Although he plays for the Rays, this kid (yeah, 22!) has made quite the debut. His Grand Slam against my Yankees Saturday was his first major-league homer. He then went home to hit a HR against Toronto and help snap their 11-game streak. Not bad!
- Aubrey Plaza: Obviously, I love her on Parks & Rec, but today is also her birthday. So for that, I salute her. Even if she had a total WTF? moment on live TV.
- “Rouse Yourself” – JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound: The birthday girl stars with Human Grumpy Cat Jake Johnson in this funky fresh music video. The song is dark but dreamy; stick through the whole video — the surprise ending is worth it.
And for you dedicated readers, I apologize for the lack of posts lately. Some personal issues have diverted my attention, but I promise to get back on track soon. Thanks for sticking with me!